Table of Contents
Umrah or Hajj, it is a spiritual journey which we should fulfill without any worldly worries. It is a process to cleanse your mind and soul from all the filth and sins. To obtain this level of peace and divineness during this auspicious journey, we must get all the chores done with perfection and certainty beforehand. This article has everything to teach you how to perform Umrah. We have gathered all the important details for our readers, hopefully, you will find everything that there is to be done if you’re planning an Umrah trip.
Complete Guide on How to Perform Umrah
There are some basic guidelines that every Muslim must follow while performing Umrah. The umrah has only four rites over us, accomplishing which makes our umrah successful. The four basic pillars are;
1: Entering the State of Ihram
The person declares the Niyyah (intention) of Umrah and recites the Talbiyah before Meqat. The basic steps in the procedure of Ihram are;
- Shower or perform ablution, whichever is convenient.
- Put on your Ihram. Note that;
- Ihram for men are two sheets of white cloth. One that is wrapped around the waist and the other that is used to cover the upper body.
- Ihram women are the ordinary clothes that conceal their body completely, only leaving the face and hands exposed.
- If it isn’t the undesired time, then recite two raakah naafil. In the first raakah, recite
Surah Kafirun while in the second rakaah, recite Surah Ikhlas.
- The nawafil are followed with the declaration of Niyaah by reciting:
“Allaahumma innee ureedul umrata fayassirhaalee wataqabbalhaa minnee”
- Follow the declaration with the recital of Taalbiyah. Taalbiyah should be recited loudly by men while women should recite it silently, keep reciting Taalbiyah as much as possible:
“Labbayk, Allahumma Labbayk. Labbayk. La shareeka laka. Labbayk.Innal-hamda wan-n’imata laka wal-mulk. La shareeka lak.”
Tawaf refers to circling around Kaaba seven times with respect and devotion. The things that you should take care of while performing Tawaf are;
- Pass the upper sheet of Ihram underneath the right arm and put it on the left This bares the right shoulder and is known as Iztaba.
- Wudu is important.
- Recitation of Taalbiyah stops once you reach Hajar-e-Aswad, the starting point of tawaf.
- Stand to face Kaabah in such a way that Hajar-e-Aswad is on your right side. Then make the Niyyah for Umrah.
Allahumma Innee Ureedul Umrata fa-Yassirhaa lee wa Taqabbal-haa Minnee
- Start moving towards the right and come in front of Hajar-e-Aswad. If it’s possible then kiss the stone, else touch it, or simply face the stone and point at it with your right hand, and recite;
“Bismillahi Allahu Akbar Wa Lilla hil Hamd”
- Start the Tawaaf in counter-clockwise direction and complete seven circuits.
- For the first three circuits, men are obligated to a brisk This is called Ramal and it is sunnah. Then walk normally for the remaining four circuits.
- At the end of Tawaaf, finish Iztaba and cover both your shoulders again with the Ihraam.
- Now move towards Maqaam-e-Ibrahimi and offer two raakah Salah (mandatory)
- Continue your walk towards the never-ending stream of holy water Zamzam, and drink this while standing and saying “Bismillah” and supplicate to Allah:
“Allahummah inni as’aluka ilm-an naafi’an wa rizqan waasi’an wa shifa’an min kuli da’in”
Sae’ee is the third pillar of umrah which refers run/walk back and forth between the hills of Safaa and Marwah which are located to the North and South of Kaaba.
- Start by performing Istilam of H ajar-e-Aswad.
- Climb the hill and make Niyyah by facing Qiblah;
“Inn-as-Safa wal-Marwah min Sha’a’irillah”
- Now move towards a place from where you can see Kaaba and raise your hands and recite Allahu Akbar three times and recite the following supplication and make dua for whatever you want.
“La ilaha ila Allah wahdahu la sharika lah, lahu al-mulk wa lahu al-hamd, wa huwa ‘ala kulli shay’in qadir”
- After the seventh trip ending at Marwaa, the pilgrim is required to offer two raakah naafil.
4: Halaq / Qasar
This is the final pillar of umrah after which your umrah is completed.
- This stage requires trimming and clipping of hair and nails.
- Men are required to shave and trim (to the upper third of finger) however, shaving off their head completely is more preferable.
- Women only need to chop one inch of their hair from the bottom.
Things to Take When Going for Umrah
The few most essential things that are listed below result in your own ease when taken along, however, you can add or omit items from the list as per your requirements;
- Prayer Mat
- Nail Cutter
- Basic Medications
- Caution Money
- Umrah Guide
- Comfortable Slippers
- Alarm Clock
How to Perform Umrah: Visa Fee for Umrah
Recently, Saudi Arabia introduced a new policy for the people who are performing Hajj or Umrah for the first time. Saudi Arabia has declared to bear the Saudi visa fee of those who are performing Hajj or Umrah for the first time. However, if you’re applying for Hajj or Umrah visa for the second time, you have to the visa fee as per the revised visa fee structure, i.e. you’ve to pay single-entry visa fee of 2,000 Saudi Riyals or $533.
Umrah Package 1: Sarah al Manam or Similar with Shuttle (1500 M) || Kana al Khair or Similar with Shuttle (1100M)[table “4” not found /]
The prices mentioned above are for one person only, which do not include airline ticket charges. Moreover, prices are subject to change.
How to Choose Umrah Travel Agencies
When you start to plan your umrah trip, the first step is to do all the research over the travel agencies offering affordable umrah packages, check if everything that they are offering in their packages is even worth the money. Start by asking your friends or relatives for the best umrah agencies which offer the best umrah packages. Go for a registered travel agency that provides the transparency of the procedure between the agent and customers. Check up on the hotels the agencies are partnered with and also review the customer feedback for your assurance. Keep a check on whether the umrah visa process, airfare, and accommodation are fine in your pocket or not.
Hotels in Saudi Arabia To Stay
Each and every hotel is packed with premium facilities so that your stay could be as much comfortable as possible. These hotel bookings are a part of your travel agent’s job. However, you can always look up for the hotels and make the modifications as per your pocket. Some of the best hotels that are right near to the Kaaba are;
- Hilton Suites Makkah (Mecca)
- Swissotel Makkah(Mecca)
- Pullman ZamZam Makkah(Mecca)
- Movenpick Hotel & Residences Hajar Tower Makkah(Mecca)
- InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid(Mecca)
- Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah(Mecca)
How to Perform Umrah: Places for Visit During Umrah
Every piece of land of Makkah and Medina holds religious importance for every Muslim. The thought that our beloved prophets walked over the same piece of land is enough for us to fall in love with that land. However, there are a few monuments that hold historical and religious importance for all of us which one must visit during their umrah trip.
Places in Makkah
- Masjid-Al Haram
- Mount Arafah
- Cave Suhr
- Jannat ul Maula
Places in Madinah
- Jannat ul Baqi (The Garden of Heavens)
- Masjid Al Quba
- The Well of Uthman (Bir e Usman)